Monday, June 17, 2013

BARNES & NOBLE Lost A Customer Today

Today I went to BARNES & NOBLE retail store #1884 in Springfield NJ  to make a simple exchange of my $39.95 nook HD+ cover which I bought last Wednesday, 6/12/2013 for the promotional sale price of $25.

My reason for the exchange? I wanted the one that let you prop the device up on a table. Same price $39.95.  When I handed Mike L the cashier the old one and the new one I had selected, he scanned them, then informed me that I would now have to pay him an additional $15!
"Why do I have to pay you an extra $15? I'm just doing an exchange, it's the same item."

"The item is no longer on sale, you bought yours for $25 during a promotion." cashier Mike L informed me.

"Is that the Barnes & Noble policy or are you just being an asshole?" I asked 

"No. That's our policy."

"Let me speak to a manager." 
Mike L summons a manager on the public address.  A black woman whose name I didn't get came up to the register. I explained the situation to her. She gave me the same response as Mike L.

"OK. Fine. I want a FULL REFUND instead." 

I signed the new receipt, took my cash and left.
I drove across the highway to a great little store called FIVE BELOW  , found a reading device holder, VERSO, that was just as sturdy as Barnes & Noble's and let me prop up my nook. The price? $5.

So screw you B&N. Your inflexible customer service policy cost you my business and, more importantly a TON of customer word of mouth.  

Quite frankly, your price on the nook holders SUCK, plain and simple. I know your cost is probably at the very most $10 so you are profiting 29.95 and that is shameful. I hope thousands of people read this blog and DEMAND REFUNDS. 


The following is a transcript of my chat online with B&N's customer service: 

Gregory Lions: I tried to make a simple exchange of a nook hd+ cover which I bought at the sale price of $25. Mike L cashier at store #1884 informed me that I would have to pay an additional $15. since the item was no longer on sale. I asked to see a manager and she told me the same thing. RESULT? I asked for a FULL REFUND INSTEAD. Your customer service sucks. B&N lost money as a result AND I will encourage everyone I know to refund your overpriced nook covers. I drove to fivebelow.com and purchased a VERSO cover for $5. Made my day. And forget about me making ANY future purchases with B&N.

Gregory Lions: All I want you to do is forward this to your higher ups. Some executive somewhere, to let him/her know that your inflexible policy has pissed off and lost you a customer and word of mouth.

Gil Ryan Alcantara: Thanks for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat. My name is Gil. I understand your concern and this is something that you have to call us for. Please dial 1800-THE-BOOK and choose the Retail Store Department from the options. I apologize if I can’t give you any assistance with regard to the matter. Would there be anything else besides this?

Gregory Lions: Gil you awake? Or is it late in Mumbai?

Gil Ryan Alcantara: Sorry, this matter is really out of my hands.

Gregory Lions: figures this chat line is just as much help as your in store sales personnel. management.

Gregory Lions: have a pleasant day. Find a better job

No comments: